Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 59, Oxford to Camden, Maine



Ride distance: 97 miles; ride time: 6:16; cumulative distance: 4,020 miles; average speed: 15.5 mph; calories: 6007; ascent: 4967 feet; descent: 5364 feet. We made it from Sea to Sea. When we got to Rockport, we were on the Atlantic Ocean. Our final destination will be about 90 miles to the north at Bar Harbor. It’s exciting to have our final destination so close at hand. These last nine weeks have been an adventure that I will always remember. I’ve been blessed to meet so many fine people – the riders, support staff, and hosts. I also would like to thank the people that have made this trip possible – my supporters and especially my wife for parting with me for 60 days. Thank you Nancy! I’ve missed you a lot and will be glad to see you again. Today’s ride featured hills, hills, and more hills. Maine is not flat by any stretch of the imagination. As you can see, we climbed close to 5,000 feet today. We made it to Camden around 5 o’clock and were treated to a wonderful potluck by the Baptist church that is hosting us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing accomplishment! Amazing grace! One week ago (Fri) we sent you off, and tomorrow you will complete the journey...and just begin the next one - going wherever doing whatever God plans include. Imagine!...this 60 days was only a piece of the entire journey - life! We will pray you through to tomorrow night, and the reunions with family/home. Love to our "boys" Hope to hear from you...Hermans (E.Williamson)

Tom Phillips said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your prayers. I'm back in California now with my wife. I will always remember this trip and the kind people like you that made it the trip of a lifetime.