Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 41, in Kewanee, Illinois



We had a good day of rest in Kewanee. Our group attended the Zion Lutheran Church at 9 a.m. and gave a Youth for Christ presentation at the social hour following the worship service. Bryan gave an overview of Youth for Christ and the projects we’re supporting. Emma told a few of the funny things that happened on our trip and Stewart gave a talk about Serbia and the need for a drop-in center for youth there. After that, we rejoined our host families for the rest of the stay in Kewanee. Kewanee is known as the “hog capital of the world”. (I know that must be true since I made a pig of myself at the Pizza Hut buffet at lunchtime – only kidding!). My host family has been great. I’ve been staying with Trino and Shelley Gomez and their two girls Sarah and Rachel, ages 11 and 7. We rested in the afternoon. In the evening, we had a delicious supper meal of pork burritos, fresh corn on the cob, and Spanish rice. I chatted with my daughter Kristin in Peru and then was shown how to play “Guitar Hero” on their Wii. The Gomez family was patient while I finally managed to make it through the first song. We then watched a family movie, the Spiderwick Chronicles, and now here I am writing this blog.

1 comment:

Stephen Phillips said...

What did you think of Guitar Hero? =)